Thursday, September 18, 2008

Health Screening

Today at work we had a company on site doing health screenings. Here's what I found out:

Blood Pressure:
Systolic 134 (normal range is 130 and less)
Diastolic 73 (normal range is 80 and less)

Body Composition:
Body Fat %: 34.8 (20-21% is normal in women)
BMI: 26.8 (normal range 18.6-24.9)

Lipid Panel:
Total Cholesterol: 152 (under 200 is normal)
HDL (good) 28 (normal range is 40 and above)
LDL (bad) 95 (normal range us under 130 [I'm not sure what it means when you don't have enough good cholesterol but you don't have too much bad cholesterol])

Glucose: 96 (normal for fasting 65-99; non-fasting under 200)

While I don't completely understand what all of that means I understand enough to know some of it isn't good (but not really something I didn't already know). Here's how I would rate my mood after the screening:

Depression:
80 (Normal range on a scale of 1 to 100 is 90. One [1] = the desire to eat vegetables and run a 5k; one hundred [100] = eating 2000 calories from fat in one sitting and throwing away the running shoes.)

Embarrassment:
130 (normal range is 150 and higher)

I'm glad I've already started my 8-week program or I might feel a lot worse about this!

2 comments:

Scott said...

Those numbers are ... gosh ... very much like MY numbers: I too have high blood pressure, especially systolic--like yours. I have low HDL--like you do (but my number is higher than your totally unusually low number. I have extra low LDL--like yours. My BMI is about what your is (actually mine is worse right now).

Just goes to show that genetics works.

Beverly said...

Those numbers are like my as well. Although I have good blood pressure, I have high cholesterol and a BMI that I'd like to forget. You got a double whammy when it comes to genetics. Sorry about that.