Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Challenges to Weight Loss

This week I've thought a lot about my goal to lose weight, but just thinking about it doesn't mean its going to happen. Here are some of the challenges (maybe I should just call them excuses) I face meeting my goal:
  1. My Work Schedule. I'm scheduled to work 1pm to 10pm Sunday through Thursday, which means I start getting ready at 11am, leave the house at 12pm and on a good day I'm home by 10:30pm. Normally I'm not in bed before 1am, which means I tell myself I'm too tired to work out before work and then I tell myself I'm too tired to work out after work. Being overly tired and stressed contributes to poor eating and limits weight loss--lucky me.
  2. Work Itself. While I limit my caloric intake at work and do a good job avoiding overeating while there, sometimes my caloric intake is so restricted at work (because I get too busy to have snacks) that when I get home I'm overly hungry and therefore overeat. What's worse, it's late at night and I go to bed soon after eating.
  3. Days Off. I overeat on my days off. While at work not only am I busy but I'm also not 50ft from food. To make up for stressful, long days at work, I'm extra lazy and you guessed it, don't work out.
  4. Abbey. I know its mean to blame a child for lack of weight loss, but having Abbey around is a challenge. First of all, its difficult to work out when she's crying and wants attention--Eric is already at work and there is no one to get her things or pay attention to her. And second, I find it harder to keep track of what I eat when I make her food she then gives me to eat for her. I know she's not out to sabotage me because she's just so dang cute, but a girls gotta wonder...J/K.

So here are a some of things I'm going to do to overcome these challenges:

  1. Make a plan to workout before work. This will mean going to bed earlier so instead of snoozing on the couch I can get on the treadmill. If I tell myself 10am that gives me time to get a quick walk on the treadmill in before I have to start getting ready for work.
  2. I'm going to plan my day better, keeping snacks at work I can eat at my desk.
  3. On my days off, move activities farther away from the kitchen where I'm tempted to graze.
  4. Use more self-control and put Abbey's leftover food away instead of finishing it up for her.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I honestly don't think these are excuses, but more challenges you have to get over to be successful. I have many myself and think I'll come up with a list.

My only advice is to take something to eat in the car on the way home from work so that you aren't as hungry when you walk through the door.

Good luck though! All of these challenges are hard!!